South Carolina State Library
1430 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29201
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIRECTOR
Directs the planning, analysis, design, development, implementation and operation of all State Library information technology products and services, including telecommunications, data processing systems, databases, integrated library systems, internal hardware and software and technology-based programs. This position is responsible for the technology needs of the SCLENDS consortium as defined in the individual job functions below.
1. Directs the planning, development, implementation and modification of telecommunications, data processing systems, information systems and applications for the State Library. Directs the development, coordination and maintenance of the agency’s information resource management activities and programs.
2. Directs the activities of systems analysts, programmers and information resources professionals.
3. Develops, maintains and supports the SCLENDS consortium Wide Area Network (WAN) and servers using independent judgment and initiative within the framework of established policies. Assists multiple library systems and their Information Technology staff with a wide variety of computer, server, operating systems, Integrated Library System (ILS) software and networking hardware. Manages a comprehensive Evergreen (open source software) online help desk and responds to help desk issues in a timely manner.
4. Selects and purchases equipment; manages installation and equipment maintenance. Evaluates needs and recommends solutions for the Agency.
5. Directs the preparation of reports for management and users. Conducts comprehensive studies and analyses of current systems, functions and operations. Monitors compliance with state IT guidelines and policies.
6. Guides the Agency technology budget development and coordinates expenditures. Manages program budget and personnel; establishes long-term funding commitments. Participates in the agency’s strategic planning efforts by leading efforts to develop and apply technology solutions to support the agency’s mission. Plans for agency technology improvements, guides agency technology planning and maintenance of all technology systems. Develops and implements annual and long range planning and goal setting. Coordinates, designs and/or promotes strategic initiatives to improve agency’s overall operation. Establishes policy for technology acquisition and use; assesses progress and is held accountable for results.
Minimum and Additional Requirements:
A MLS, MLIS, or MSIS, or a degree in technology and 5-7 years experience in a library information technology setting. Experience in information technology, telecommunications, data processing and open source solutions. Ability to plan and supervise the implementation of short and long-range data processing and telecommunications activities and objectives. Ability to plan, organize, direct and review the work of technical personnel. Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with users, technical staff, management, vendors and others.
Knowledge of the principles of librarianship, library automation, and integrated library systems. Knowledge of the principles and techniques of planning programs and work activities in a data processing or telecommunications environment.
Applications may be obtained and filed online at: http://www.jobs.sc.gov. This position closes on 6-30-12. For questions, please contact Leesa Benggio, email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>