The State Library of Ohio is a state agency that serves state government, all types of libraries, and residents.
A Smarter Ohio
The vision of the State Library of Ohio is a Smarter Ohio where every Ohioan can access the necessary resources to be engaged citizens, excel at their jobs, participate in the workforce, and pursue their passions and interests.
The State Library of Ohio ensures a smarter Ohio by managing the delivery of services through three channels:
- Directly, by building and managing quality collections and providing hands-on service to state government
- Cooperatively, through collaborative efforts and information sharing networks within the library community
- Virtually, through online and on-the-go access to expert assistance, digitized resources, and a vast selection of electronic materials
The State Library of Ohio provides the following services:
- Provides work-related research and reference services to state legislators and state employees
- Serves as Ohio’s only full regional depository for federal documents and the depository for Ohio state agency documents
- Provides interlibrary loan services
- Provides meeting space and a computer training lab at no cost
- Provides instruction on use of library resources
Services to Ohio Libraries
- Oversees the federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant program
- Administers Ohio Libraries Share: MORE, a statewide resource sharing system of 101 public and school libraries
- Supports an automation consortium of 76 library systems at more than 175 locations through the Serving Every Ohioan (SEO) Library Center location in Caldwell
- Coordinates the statewide delivery network
- Maintains statistics about Ohio libraries for analysis, long range planning and comparison
- Assists in developing programs for staff and customers
- Assists in facilities planning
Specialized Services to Ohio Residents
- Coordinates the Ohio Talking Book program for Ohio’s blind and physically handicapped residents
- Answers general reference questions
- Provides electronic database access
- Provides Internet training through local libraries via the Mobile Technology Training Center
- Provides virtual reference service through KnowItNow
About Our Collection
Patrons use the State Library of Ohio to research information about congressional hearings and reports, U.S. and State of Ohio legislative history, statistics, facts about the state of Ohio, geological information, military rosters, state institutional and agency reports, census data, and more.
The State Library is the only regional federal depository in Ohio and is also a depository for state information.
We also carry daily newspapers, journals, and magazines. There are some computers available for public use of library resources.
When visiting the library you will find:
- Federal documents (e.g. Congressional Record, House and Senate Journals, Presidential Papers, U.S. Code, Code of Federal Regulations, Federal Register, Census reports, U.S. Supreme Court decisions)
- Ohio Revised Code, Ohio Administrative Code, Ohio Supreme Court decisions
- State of Ohio documents (reports and other materials produced by state agencies and elected officials for the general public)
- Maps, including United States Geological Survey (USGS) topographical maps
- Military rosters, with a focus on Ohio soldiers and sailors
- Reference materials (e.g. directories, data reports, statistical sources)
- We also carry daily print newspapers, journals, and magazines. Computers are available for public use of electronic library resources.
Business Hours: 8am-5pm Monday - Friday.
Following are the state holidays observed by all state government agencies, including the State Library of Ohio:
|New Year's Day||Thursday, January 1, 2015|
|Martin Luther King Day||Monday, January 19, 2015|
|Presidents' Day||Monday, February 16, 2015|
|Memorial Day||Monday, May 25, 2015|
|Independence Day||Friday, July 3, 2015|
|Labor Day||Monday, September 7, 2015|
|Columbus Day||Monday, October 12, 2015|
|Veterans' Day||Wednesday, November 11, 2015|
|Thanksgiving Day||Thursday, November 26, 2015|
|Christmas Day||Friday, December 25, 2015|