The State Library of Ohio supports Ohio's library youth services staff and activities. Aside from access to the Talking Book Program and State Library resources for Ohio residents, the State Library does not provide direct services to children and teens. We do offer an array of resources for library staff working with youth ages 0-18 and with their parents, teachers, childcare providers, and others who care about children and teens.
Our goal is to assist library staff who provide services to the children and teens of communities across Ohio. We welcome your comments and suggestions; please contact youth services consultant Janet Ingraham Dwyer.
- New for the 2013-14 school year! Ohio Public Libraries and Student Learning: resources to learn about and plan for Common Core/Ohio's New Learning Standards, the Third Grade Reading Guarantee, and other developments in PreK-12 education policy and practice. Get up to speed on the new initiatives, and explore a world of ideas on what your library can do at any time, with little additional investment of time or money, to support students, parents, and teachers.
- Ohio Ready to Read: an ongoing statewide initiative to help public librarians address the early literacy needs of Ohio's youngest citizens. ORTR provides Every Child Ready to Read® @ Your Library® and other early literacy information and resources for outreach, programming, and advocacy. Librarians are encouraged to share their successful early literacy programs, best practices, tips, and resources, and find good ideas from other libraries in the Ohio Ready to Read Library.
- Summer Reading Program: a resource center for public libraries planning local summer reading programs, particularly - but not exclusively! - those using the annual Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) theme. New for fall/winter 2013-14: the CSLP-sponsored Teen Video Challenge encourages teens to create a video promoting summer reading. One creative individual or team from Ohio will win $275 (plus $125 for their local public library)!
- New teen services list announced October 2013! Stay informed and connected with the Library Youth Services list, an electronic discussion and announcement list for anyone working in children’s or teen / young adult services in Ohio, and the Ohio Teen Services Librarians list, a discussion list for teen services speicalists. We also host mailing lists on behalf of the Central Ohio Youth Services Professionals and Cardinal Circle networks. COYS is an informal network of children's and teen librarians and library workers in central Ohio. Cardinal Circle is a longstanding informal network of children's librarians and library workers in western Ohio. Check the State Library of Ohio Mailing Lists page for subscription information.
- Choose to Read Ohio: connecting Ohioans of all ages through the experience of sharing books by Ohio authors. A project of the State Library and Ohioana Library Association, Choose to Read Ohio encourages libraries, schools, families, and others to build a community of readers and an appreciation for Ohio literature.
- Take Five: An Ohio Youth Services Day of Dialogue on Challenges, Solutions, and Emerging Best Practices, an event and network for people who work with youth in libraries, museums, and arts settings.
- The Buckeye Children's and Teen Book Award supports youth reading and teacher and librarian involvement, and provides young people the opportunity to share their joy of reading by voting for their favorite books. The State Library of Ohio is a sponsoring agency of the Buckeye Book Awards.
- Ohio Youth Services Performers Showcase resources provide librarians with information about area performers.
- Helping Books Connection: resources, including a book review database, for caring adults to find and use quality children's literature about ethical and social issues, character education, values, and personal and family issues relevant to young people.
- LSTA Grant Information: Grant RFPs; timelines; funded projects; other grant sources. Of interest to, but not exclusive to youth services.
- Library Development and Consultant Services for any aspect of library youth services work.