The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce the 2021 Summer Library Program (SLP) Grant. The purpose of the grant program is to empower libraries to enhance their 2021 SLP/SRPs with library-led activities that spark creativity and productivity, engage individuals, and benefit their communities. Libraries may apply for up to $1500 in federal LSTA funds to support their SLP. Local matching funds are not required for this grant.
Proposals are due by 11:59 p.m., February 1, 2021.
Libraries may use the awarded federal funds to purchase program materials, supplies, and/or contractual services for the activities offered to the community during the 2021 SLP. Please refer to the FAQs tab for specific guidelines on the use of awarded funds. Participating libraries are encouraged to collaborate with other community entities, organizations, or agencies that also serve the targeted age groups.
- Using statistics such as employment rates, free lunch program rate of reimbursement, or household income, tell us about your community. (max 250 words)
- Identify a target audience or audiences that will benefit from the planned SLP grant project (e.g., elementary age students, new Americans, book clubs, families with young children). (max 250 words)
- Describe planned SLP activities or programs. If the activities or programs include an outside speaker or performer, provide a CV or resume when uploading documents, and provide a link to their website if possible. (max 250 words)
- Describe how you will market and promote the planned activity and other components of your SLP. Note: libraries must adhere to the LSTA Publicity Information. (max 250 words)
- How do you expect the target audience(s) to benefit and grow from the planned activity? How do you intend to assess the outcomes of the project? Use specific examples. (max 250 words)
Documents Required for Application
- SLP Title Page
- Proof of cost from vendor(s). This can be in the form of a quote, screenshot from your Amazon cart, etc. If you have questions, please contact the LSTA Coordinator, via LSTA@library.ohio.gov.
- SLP Budget
- CV or resume of outside speaker or performer (if applicable)
Upon completion of the grant contract period (August 31, 2021), two final reports must be submitted:
What Can You buy?
Materials, supplies, and/or contractual services for the activities offered to the community during the 2021 SLP. Examples of allowable costs include:
- summer reading management packages (e.g. BeanStack)
- grant funds may only cover costs during grant term
- speaker honorariums
- library / collection development materials
- application must include justification / connection to SLP
- programming supplies (e.g. crafting materials)
What Can’t You buy?
- prizes and promotional giveaways, including books; applicants are encouraged to contact the LSTA Coordinator via LSTA@library.ohio.gov for additional information
- ongoing and general operating expenses
- classroom sets and subscriptions, such as databases
- food and beverages
Are Matching Funds Required?
Is it necessary to use the 2021 Collaborative Summer Library Program “Tails and Tales” theme to be eligible for this grant?
NO! Libraries may choose to use any theme (or no theme) for their SLP. The Collaborative Summer Library Program theme and materials are available for any Ohio public library to use. Click here if you would like to learn more about the 2021 Collaborative Summer Library Program.
Who Can Apply?
Public libraries eligible to receive Ohio Public Library Funds (PLF).
- One library per system may receive an SLP grant.
School libraries located in a school that is accredited by the State of Ohio.
- One library per district may receive an SLP grant.
Libraries that are part of an accredited institution of higher learning.
- One library per institution may receive an SLP grant.
Special libraries within Ohio.
Ohio Library Consortia, professional library associations, and Ohio regional library systems identified in “Libraries in Ohio,” LSTA Five Year Plan 2018-2022.
What is the Scope of this Grant?
- The applying library must offer an SLP within the grant term (April 1, 2021 – August 31, 2021).
- The program and/or activities must enhance the library’s SLP.
- The library is encouraged to collaborate with other entities that work with the target audience(s).
Where can I learn more about the LSTA/IMLS guidelines for this grant?
- Libraries must adhere to the LSTA Publicity Information.
- Libraries must distribute the REQUIRED IMLS Instructional Survey to SLP activity participants/attendees.
What is the Timeline of this Grant?
All applications must be completed by 11:59 p.m., February 1, 2021. The grant term runs from April 1-August 31, 2021.
How is this grant reviewed?
All applications will be reviewed by State Library of Ohio staff. If the application adequately addresses all elements of the grant requirements, the application will be recommended for funding. If more proposals are eligible for funding than there are funds available, priority will be given to smaller libraries, rural libraries, and libraries in areas with high rates of poverty. The LSTA office is able to review draft responses up to 10 days prior to proposal due date. Draft responses may be submitted to LSTA@library.ohio.gov; typically, feedback is provided within 3-5 business days.
Are there reports required for this grant?
Yes. Upon completion of the grant contract period (August 31, 2021), two final reports must be submitted:
Who Do I Contact for Questions?
Questions on the grant or LSTA grant process should be addressed to LSTA Coordinator Cindy Boyden at LSTA@library.ohio.gov, or 614-644-6863.
Questions about developing SLP activities aligned with the purpose of this grant may be addressed to Youth Services Consultant Janet Ingraham Dwyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.