The State Library leads and coordinates several councils and review committees.
The LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act) Advisory Council is the group charged with advising and counseling the State Library on matters related to the LSTA program in Ohio. The Council is broadly representative of public, academic, school, and special libraries, as well as library users.
- Thomas Adkins, Director, Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County
- Douglas Anderson, Director, Marietta College Library
- Jason Buydos, Director, Louisville Public Library
- Meg Delaney, Main Library Manager, Toledo-Lucas County Public Library
- Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz, Knowledge Manager, Cleveland Public Library
- Jennifer Flaherty, Library Media Specialist, Beachwood High School
- Steve Marine, Associate Dean of Special Collections, University of Cincinnati Libraries (Emeritus)
- Ryan McDonnell, Director, Grandview Heights Public Library
- Mary Nemeth, Coordinator of INFOhio Services, Metropolitan Education Council (retired)
- Susan Paul, Interim Dean, Lorain County Community College Library
- Kate Porter, Assistant Director, Upper Arlington Public Library
- Terry Reese, Head, Digital Initiatives, The Ohio State University Libraries
- Scott Seaman, Dean of Libraries Ohio University
- Nick Tepe, Director, Chillicothe and Ross County Public Library
- Sarah Thornberry, Teacher-Librarian, Springboro Junior High School
Ex officio members of the council include a representative from each of the information network providers (OPLIN, OhioLINK, INFOhio) and a representative from the Ohio Library Council.
LSTA Grant Reviewers
In order to make sure that funded LSTA projects are those most likely to succeed and will further the goals established in the LSTA 5 Year Plan, the State Library developed a two tier review process. Once grants are received at the State Library they are checked for eligibility and that the application meets all the requirements stated in the Request For Proposal. Applications are then sent to Review Teams. The number of teams varies by the number of applications received each grant round.
Review Teams are comprised of four members. Each Team is chaired by a member of the LSTA Advisory Council. Should the library of an LSTA Advisory Council member have submitted an application in a particular grant round, that member will not be eligible to serve as a team chair. The additional team members include one representative from the school library community, the public library community, and the academic or special library community.
Team members are selected based on their knowledge of the LSTA program, previous grant–writing experience, and expertise in one of the areas of funding. Having broad–based representation on each Team assists with the review process as members can clarify issues or terminology which relates to their type of library.
Teams are regionally based. No proposal is reviewed within the region from which it was submitted. Readers do not read proposals from libraries with which they have a working relationship. Nor do readers or LSTA Advisory Council members review proposals which they consulted on or commented on a draft.
Team members score each proposal in their team using the score sheet found HERE. Team members then meet to discuss the applications; strengths and weaknesses and areas of improvement. Proposals are recommended for funding, not recommended, recommended if funds are available and revise/resubmit.
Individual team scores are reviewed at a meeting of the Team Chairs. The Team Chairs discuss the merits of funding individual proposals, particularly those falling in the category of recommended if funds are available. Team Chairs make final recommendations which are taken to the State Library Board for funding approval.
Following is a list of individuals who have reviewed LSTA grants, either minigrants or full grants or both within the last two grant cycles. The State Library wishes to thank these individuals for their time, effort, and commitment to quality library services in Ohio.
The role of the Ohio Digital Library Advisory Committee is to advise and counsel the State Library of Ohio on the implementation, development and evaluation of the Ohio Digital Library.
Current Committee Members
- Ryan Gay, Lane Public Library
- Greg Burlingame, Stark County District Library
- Mandy Knapp, State Library of Ohio
- Ken Robinson, Athens County Public Libraries
- Phil Shirley, Cuyahoga Falls Public Library
- Julie Vanhoose Rethferd, Chillicothe and Ross County Public Library
- Tara Sidwell, Kate Love Simpson-Morgan County Library
- Ralph Parissi, Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County
- Paris Robertson, Upper Sandusky Public Library
- Michael Limer, Kaubisch Memorial Library
- Kristin Cioffi, Amherst Public Library
- Anne Kennedy, Licking County Library System
- Jen Farrell, Huron County Community Library
- Nicholas Slone, Adams County Library
- Jay Miley, Mercer County Library
- Carol Burton, Logan County Libraries
Consumer Advisory Committee
The Consumer Advisory Committee advises the State Library on program and policy matters regarding the Talking Book Program. In particular, the committee:
- Promotes the Talking Book Program
- Provides suggestions for the various consumer committees operating at the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
- Advises the State Library of Ohio on legislation and local issues affecting the statewide program
Current Committee Members
- Beth Levine, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Stephanie Claytor, National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
- Janell Brown, Ohio State School for the Blind
- Claire Williams, Philomatheon Society of the Blind
- Irwin Hott, Newsreel Magazine
- Heather Youngman, Norwalk Public Library
- Mike Farley, Consumer Representative
- Mickey Prahin, American Council of the Blind of Ohio
- Mike Bosela, Youngstown Radio Reading Service
- Sarah Hawke, Consumer Representative
- Vicky Prahin, Hadley School for the Blind
- Tracy Grimm, Secretary, Head of Circulation and Special Services, State Library of Ohio
Ex officio members of the council include the director of the Ohio Library for the Blind and Physically Disabled; ETECH Ohio Commission; Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission.
SEO Advisory Committee
The SEO (Serving Every Ohioan) Advisory Committee is responsible for advising and making recommendations regarding policies, information technology, budget proposals, upgrades, enhancements, etc. for the SEO Consortium.
Current Committee Members
- Amanda Bennett – ADA
- Tom Dillie – MIN
- Betsy Eggers – NAP
- Tim Hagen – PCL
- Janel Haas – WAY
- Anthony Orsini – TCP
- Jan Schaffner – MCB
- Robyn Vittek – STC
- Babette Wofter – LNE
Choose to Read Ohio is administered by the State Library of Ohio with support from partner organizations. An Advisory Team makes recommendations on statewide implementation of CTRO including marketing, toolkit development, title selection, program sustainability and future growth.