Per section 3375-1-01 of the Ohio Administrative Code, the state librarian and assigned designees reserve the right to regulate activities by any non-employee or employee which disrupt or interfere with the normal work flow or use of the facility.
Rules of Conduct
- Patrons who disrupt the normal work flow or use of the facility by others will be asked to discontinue the disruptive behavior. Failure to comply with the Rules of Conduct may result in expulsion from the facility. Law enforcement will be contacted to deal with patrons who refuse to leave the facility or are suspected of engaging in criminal behavior. (ORC 2911.21)
- Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside all State Library of Ohio facilities. Smoking is only permitted outside of the library in designated areas. (ORC 3794.02) Other uses of tobacco-related products, including chewing tobacco or electronic or vapor devices, are also prohibited.
- The State Library of Ohio is an alcohol free and drug free facility. (ORC 123)
- It is illegal to carry a firearm, deadly weapon, or dangerous ordnance anywhere on State Library property. (ORC 2923.126)
- Animals are prohibited, with the exception of certified service animals as defined in ORC 955.43.
- Non-alcoholic drinks in spill-proof, covered containers are permitted. Library users are asked to practice caution when using library materials or library computers.
- Food is permitted only in designated areas.
NOTE: Food and/or drink are NOT allowed when using old or rare library materials.
- Use of obscene, abusive, threatening or insulting language or intimidating or harassing patrons or staff in the library is prohibited.
- Entrance into non-public areas of the library without permission is prohibited.
- Protect your personal property while in the library or on library property. The library cannot take responsibility for lost or stolen property.
Approved by the State Library Board on March 16, 2017.
Download our Rules of Conduct Policy (PDF).