In late 2008, the National Library Service (NLS) Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped began allocating its Digital Talking Book Machines (DTBM). NLS has recommended each Machine Lending Agency, of which the State Library of Ohio is one, develop a set of priorities for the distribution of DTBMs to end users.
Our Talking Book Consumer Advisory Committee developed and approved the following recommendations for priority distribution of DTBMs at its August 23, 2007 meeting. The recommendations for priority distribution are based on the following parameters:
- State Library of Ohio will be allocated an estimated 100 to 124 DTBMs per month.
- Users of DTBMs may have two machines initially: An analog cassette machine and a new DTBM.
- All DTBMs will be distributed through the State Library of Ohio. DTBMs will not be distributed through the sub-lending agencies until all priority requests have been met.
- Individuals wanting a DTBM will need to request one. DTBMs will be issued on a first-come-first serve basis within priority groupings.
- Existing users of the Talking Book service wanting a DTBM must be in an active status and in good standing, i.e. return materials on time, to be eligible.
- The State Library of Ohio will keep lists of users in priority groupings, which will be shared with the Cleveland and Cincinnati Regional Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
Priority Groupings for Distribution of DTBMs
- Ohio Veterans. In January 2008, we mailed letters to identified veterans already on the program. Individuals wanting a DTBM will need to contact the State Library to be added to the priority list.
- Ohio Members of NLS Ten-Squared Talking-Book Club (those readers more than 100 years of age). Members will be contacted by phone. DTBMs will be distributed to those requesting one.
- Schools serving blind students.
Second Priority: To be done after first priority has been completely satisfied:
- Individuals using the Easy cassette machine. We will mail letters to Easy users already on the program. Individuals wanting a DTBM will need to contact the State Library to be added to the priority list.
Third Priority: To be done after first two priorities have been completely satisfied:
- Existing users requesting a DTBM who do NOT meet any of the previously listed priorities. Those wanting a DTBM will need to contact the State Library to be added to the priority list.
- New Users. New Users will be offered DTBMs as available. If a DTBM is not available the new user will be issued an analog cassette machine and placed on the DTBM waiting list.
Download our Talking Book Distribution Policy (PDF).