Vision: A Smarter Ohio
The State Library of Ohio ensures a smarter Ohio by managing the delivery of services through three channels:
- Directly, by building and managing quality collections and providing hands-on service to state government
- Cooperatively, through collaborative efforts and information sharing networks within the library community
- Virtually, through online and on-the-go access to expert assistance, digitized resources, and a vast selection of electronic materials
Position the State Library of Ohio to state government as the preferred channel for information.
- Increase communication to State of Ohio agencies and employees to improve understanding of library resources, services, and programming
- Expand outreach efforts to inform state government of the State Library’s available services and facilities through methods of engagement that mindfully prioritize inclusivity.
- Highlight how Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) funds impact communities by communicating the reporting data to government representatives.
- Ensure the State Library is meeting the needs of state government through regular assessment of its services and conversations with its stakeholders.
Promote the availability of State Library resources to residents throughout Ohio.
- Promote digital resources, including the Ohio Digital Library, Ohio Memory, and online databases.
- Publicize access to books, movies, music, and other materials through State Library partnerships, while also mindfully including diverse perspectives.
- Inform residents and public libraries about the Ohio Braille and Talking Book Program.
- Utilize established channels, such as the State Library of Ohio website, listservs, and social media accounts to raise awareness of our many valuable resources with our communities and investigate new opportunities to communicate with potential users who have been systemically excluded in the past.
- Ensure the State Library is meeting the needs of all residents through regular assessment of its services, conversations with i
Boost information sharing of the State Library’s consulting services and professional resources to Ohio libraries.
- Focus on consulting services in updated marketing materials and information distributed at library-related conferences, library visits, and other professional networking events.
- Illustrate the benefits of the digitization hub at the SEO Service Center and digitization support from the State Library of Ohio.
- Promote the use of the State Library of Ohio meeting rooms and F. Ward Murrey Annex to library professionals for in-person meetings and events.
- Disseminate information to public libraries about the Ohio Braille and Talking Book Program.
- Ensure the State Library is meeting the needs of all types of libraries through regular assessment of its services and conversations with its stakeholders.
Remove barriers to provide easier access to the vast collections, special services, and relevant points of interest offered to state government agencies, employees, all Ohio residents, and libraries.
- Utilize the Innovate Ohio platform to provide immediate, seamless, and fully-integrated access to the State Library’s various resources.
- Create trainings that inform users how to access available resources in the physical library and connect them to our digital collections and databases.
Support digitization and digital preservation initiatives across Ohio through webinars and in-person training.
- Continue and expand partnerships with libraries to preserve and improve access to their histories through DPLA and other digitization efforts.
- Prioritize expansion of partnership with organizations and populations that have been denied access to promoting their histories in the past. Further publicize the LSTA Grant partnership with the Ohio Preservation Council providing a dedicated funding initiative for conservation.
Facilitate expanded access to the Ohio Digital Library.
- Encourage partnerships between public libraries and schools to provide access for students and classrooms to the Ohio Digital Library’s resources.
- Provide support and information to stakeholders for additional ways to access the Ohio Digital Library as needed.
Utilize our highly-skilled staff’s expertise and creativity to better connect our constituents to collections, Ohio’s history, and what they need.
- Utilize our highly-skilled staff’s expertise and creativity to better connect our diverse constituents to collections, Ohio’s history, and what they need.
- Preserve and improve access to the past and present histories of state agencies via digitization and Ohio Memory.
- Encourage innovative use of LSTA funds via Ohio library grant applications.
- Consciously consider what services and programs the State Library of Ohio provides that have excluded certain populations in the past, and improve accessibility to all Ohio’s residents, library professionals and state agencies/employees.
Promote innovative pathways and dynamic learning opportunities for discovery of the State Library’s collections and resources.
- Provide relevant and affordable professional development resources for libraries and library staff, including educational support for library administrators to be effective community leaders.
- Investigate new technologies to further expand SEO Service Center’s offerings for On-Demand Training.
Streamline processes and update services to optimize the State Library’s assets and ensure relevance and fiscal responsibility.
- Consider workflow analysis and sustainability of current and potential programs for each department.
- Work toward becoming a more flexible and nimble organization that can adjust services and programs to best suit the needs of its users.