Our extensive collection of journals, manuscripts, books and government publications is included below. Access to some resources may require a library card or state employee OH|ID.
Book Discusssion Resources
- Choose to Read Ohio (CTRO) spotlights Ohio authors and illustrators, and promotes reading across Ohio. CTRO booklists highlight selected books for a two-calendar-year. Free, downloadable, resource-packed readers’ toolkits are available for CTRO books from current and past program cycles.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources (PDF)
These Diversity, Equity & Inclusion books address race, disability, and identity in America. The list includes links to the Ohio Digital Library and discussion questions.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources Reading List for Children and Teens (PDF)
These Diversity, Equity & Inclusion books for children and teens address race, disability, and identity in America. The list includes links to the Ohio Digital Library and discussion questions.
Books & ebooks
- Floyd Dickman Children’s Literature Collection
- New Books
- Ohio Digital Library (ebooks, audiobooks, & more)
- O’Reilly Online Learning –State Employees Only
Deafness and Outreach Collection
The Center for Outreach Services located at the Ohio School for the Deaf, and the State Library of Ohio collaborate to bring a collection of Deafness and interpreting-related materials to all Ohioans. The Deafness and Outreach Collection is targeted toward interpreters, American Sign Language students, parents and professionals working within the deaf community.
Visit the Government Publications section for access to our collection of federal and state documents.
History & Genealogy
- Ancestry Library Edition (Onsite in Library Use Only)
- City Directories (Print)
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) – Digital Collections from Ohio in DPLA
- Downloadable Cincinnati Area Directories
- Genealogical and Historical Sources in State of Ohio Documents (PDF)
- Internet Archive
- Library of Congress American Memory Collection
- Ohio Memory Project
- Ohio Online Death Certificate Index
- Ohio Web Library
- Public Library of Cincinnati & Hamilton County Digital Library
- State Library Special Collections
- Sanborn Insurance Maps– Ohio Web Library
- Wayback Machine
Chronicling America National Digital Newspaper Program
- Akron Daily Democrat
- The Cincinnati Labor Advocate
- The Democratic Banner
- The Democrat-Sentinel
- The Hocking Sentinel
- Marietta Daily Leader
- Marion Daily Mirror
- The Ohio Democrat
- The Perrysburg Journal
The Ohio Library and Information Network (OhioLINK) is a consortium serving 117 libraries at 88 institutions plus the State Library of Ohio. Member libraries work together to provide Ohio students, faculty, researchers, and state employees with the information they need for learning, teaching, and research. Serving more than 600,000 patrons, OhioLINK’s membership includes 16 public universities, 16 regional campus libraries, 23 two-year colleges, 51 independent colleges, 8 law school libraries, 5 medical school libraries, and the State Library of Ohio.
At OhioLINK libraries, registered users have access to a virtual statewide library through the State Library’s catalog. Books and audio/video materials that are not available from the State Library of Ohio may be requested from other member libraries.
45 public libraries also participate through SearchOhio.
Magazines & Newspapers
Access an expansive collection of magazines and newspapers electronically via the links below, or stop by the State Library to check out our collection of print newspapers on microfilm. We maintain our print newspapers for three months in-house.
Additional Resources for State Employees Only
Suggest a Title
- Want to suggest a book to add to our collection? Click here to recommend a title for the State Library of Ohio.