Graphic with Guiding Ohio Online, State Library, and IMLS logos
August 1, 2018

The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce the State Library Board recently awarded $308,982 in federal IMLS LSTA grants for Services to Targeted Populations / Guiding Ohio Online projects. Nineteen Ohio public libraries were selected to receive grant funds to participate in Guiding Ohio Online from October 1, 2018 to September 30, 2019.

The purpose of the grant is to allow libraries in rural Ohio to hire a dedicated technology trainer for their library. The technology trainer is hired as an independent contractor in a full- or part-time capacity depending on the needs of the library for a one-year period. Trainers can assist with computer instruction, technology-focused community outreach, one-on-one instruction, and other technology related duties.

Guiding Ohio Online is a State Library of Ohio program that allows for the placement of a full- or part-time technology trainer in rural Ohio public libraries. Public libraries apply to be a part of this program and undergo a competitive application process. From 2014 – 2017, the Guiding Ohio Online program was funded by a federal grant from AmeriCorps, administered through ServeOhio. In 2017, the program was transitioned to be supported through Ohio’s LSTA funds, and it remains an LSTA program for the 2018-19 program year.

“Guiding Ohio Online has proved to be valuable in helping libraries in rural areas teach critical digital literacy skills to adults in their communities,” expressed State Librarian Beverly Cain.  “The application process was even more competitive this year than in the past due to the increase in the number of libraries applying for funds.  We hope to continue to support the program at the current level as long as the need continues to exist.”

The libraries selected to be a part of the Guiding Ohio Online program are responsible for paying 25% of the project costs associated with having the technology trainer on-site. The LSTA grant funding covers 75% of the project costs for each library; the remaining 25% must come from a local cash match. This cash match typically comes from the library’s operating budget, Friends group or PTO, other grant awards or gifts, and may also come in whole or in part from a partner organization.

The following Ohio libraries were awarded LSTA grant funds for the Guiding Ohio Online program:

Library LSTA Grant Amount
Ada Public Library $22,050
Adams County Public Library $14,625
Athens County Public Libraries $18,633
Briggs Lawrence County Public Library $22,260
Brown County Public Library $23,820
Cardington-Lincoln Public Library $20,232
Cuyahoga Falls Library  $9,967
East Palestine Memorial Public Library  $8,820
Kingsville Public Library  $24,300
Kinsman Free Public Library  $7,350
Licking County Library $22,565
Newton Falls Public Library $19,110
Perry Cook Memorial Library $9,200
Pickerington Public Library $18,343
Putnam County District Library $22,060
Salem Public Library $22,101
St. Clairsville Public Library $8,846
Wagnalls Memorial Library $7,350

The State Library of Ohio administers the LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act) program, funded through the independent federal agency IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services).

 

Media Contact:

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Public Information Officer and Director, Marketing & Communications (614) 644-6875 marshams@library.ohio.gov