Choose to Read Ohio is administered by the State Library of Ohio with support from partner organizations. An Advisory Council makes recommendations on statewide implementation of CTRO including marketing, toolkit development, title selection, program sustainability and future growth.
Advisory Council members include:
- Stephanie Bange, Children’s Literature Consultant
- Amy Dawson, Manager, Ohio Center for the Book
- Courtney Brown, Library Specialist, Ohioana Library Association
- Jill Cecutti, Literacy Team, St. Brigid of Kildare School
- Dr. Christina Dorr, Media Specialist, Hilliard City School District
- Gregg Gassman, Library Assistant II, State Library of Ohio
- Gail Greenberg, Educator, Grant Writer, and Workshop Presenter
- Kathy Halsey, Writer and Educator
- Terry Lambert, Children’s Librarian, Barberton Public Library
- Bryan Loar, Co-founder, Cbus Libraries
- Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Director of Marketing & Communications, State Library of Ohio
- Stephanie Michaels, Librarian, State Library of Ohio
- Jenny Oney, Independent Consultant
- Morgan Peters, Program Coordinator, Ohioana Library Association
- Katie Porteus, School Librarian, Cardington-Lincoln Local Schools
- Kathryn Powers, Office Manager, Ohioana Library Association
- Therese Terndrup, Library Cataloger, Center for Action and Contemplation
- Desiree Thomas, Children’s Librarian, Worthington Libraries
- David Weaver, Executive Director, Ohioana Library Association
- Choose to Read Ohio is coordinated by Janet Ingraham Dwyer, Library Consultant, State Library of Ohio.
Founding Advisory Council member and CTRO champion Floyd Dickman passed away on June 14, 2015. His contributions to CTRO were significant and lasting, but were just a small part of his enormous legacy in the library and literary worlds. He is deeply missed. Learn more about Floyd in this appreciation from School Library Journal.
Gregg Gassman, Library Assistant II at the State Library of Ohio, researched, wrote, and edited toolkits for the 2017 & 2018 and 2015 & 2016 titles.
CTRO Advisory Council members Christina Dorr, Bryan Loar, and Katie Porteus researched and wrote toolkits for 2017 & 2018 titles.
Therese Terndrup and Kristin Wilson researched and wrote toolkits for 2017 & 2018 titles. Desiree Thomas, Michelle Garver and Sarah Frecker researched and wrote toolkits for the 2015 & 2016 titles. Valerie Frey, Allison (Sunny) Martin, and Morgan Hidy researched and wrote toolkits for 2013 & 2014 titles. Marie Corbitt edited several toolkits for 2013 & 2014 titles. Their participation was made possible through the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science Culminating Experience (practicum) program.
Terry Lambert produced toolkits for 2011 & 2012 titles, and incorporated early literacy information, Ohio Early Learning Standards, and other useful resources into the initiative. Terry’s participation was made possible through a summer 2010 practicum assignment through the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science.
Kathy Halsey advised and consulted on CTRO support for technology and critical thinking skills. She contributed resources and wisdom about Ohio Academic Content Standards, 21st Century Skills, and Standards for the 21st-Century Learner to the CTRO initiative. Kathy created activities for the “Learn and Have Fun!” sections of the 2011 & 2012 toolkits for books for young people, and assisted greatly in building and promoting CTRO, particularly to the education community.
The teachers, librarians, and others who serve as CTRO reader/electors have graciously offered their time, support, and expertise to CTRO by reading and assessing the many nominated books. The CTRO Advisory Council and partners are indebted to these librarians and educators for their generous participation. The list of individuals who served as reader/electors for the CTRO 2015 & 2016 booklist appears in the press release announcing the 2017 & 2018 booklist (PDF).
Choose to Read Ohio also acknowledges the contributions of many who participated in developing this initiative, including former coordinator and Library Consultant Ruth Metcalf and former State Librarian Jo Budler. Individuals who have served on the original Selection Advisory Committee and Production Committee or who have completed terms on the Advisory Council include: Cathy Allen (Hurt/Battelle Memorial Public Library), Mary Boon (Wood County Public Library), Marcelita Haskins (WOSU Public Media), Linda Hengst (Ohioana), Missy Lodge (State Library), Barb Meister (Ohioana), Scott Miller (Kilbourne Middle School), Alexa Reck (Barnes & Noble), Mercier Robinson (Ohio Center for the Book), Jackie Schaffer (Ohio Government Television), Sarah Stuckey (Barnes & Noble), Jay Wise (Public Library of Chillicothe and Ross County), Babette Wofter (Licking County Library), Don Yarman (Delaware County District Library), and Nancy Eames (Toledo-Lucas County Public Library).
Thank you to the Choose to Read Ohio partners and supporting organizations: