Choose to Read Ohio is administered by the State Library of Ohio in partnership with the Ohioana Library and Ohio Center for the Book. An Advisory Council makes recommendations on statewide implementation of CTRO including marketing, toolkit development, title selection, program sustainability and future growth.
Advisory Council members include:
- Stephanie Bange, Children’s Literature Consultant
- Don Boozer, Manager, Ohio Center for the Book at Cleveland Public Library
- Courtney Brown, Library Specialist, Ohioana Library Association
- Liz Deskins, Adjunct Professor, Kent State University iSchool
- Dr. Christina Dorr, Author, Speaker, Consultant/Publicist
- Jen Downing, Outreach Librarian, Upper Arlington Public Library
- Gail Greenberg, Educator, Grant Writer, and Workshop Presenter
- Kathy Halsey, School Librarian (retired), Writer, and Educator
- Annisha Jeffries, Youth Services Manager, Cleveland Public Library
- Marsha McDevitt-Stredney, Director of Marketing & Communications, State Library of Ohio
- Stephanie Michaels, Librarian, State Library of Ohio
- Jenny Oney, Library Associate, Worthington Libraries
- Kathryn Powers, Office Manager, Ohioana Library Association
- Kathy Shahbodaghi, Public Services Administrator, Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Therese Terndrup, Library Cataloger, Center for Action and Contemplation
- Desiree Thomas, Children’s Librarian, Worthington Libraries
- Terry Tocchi, Children’s Librarian, Stark County District Library
- David Weaver, Executive Director, Ohioana Library Association
- Caitlin Wichterman, Head of Youth Services, Fairborn Community Library, Greene County Public Library
- Susan Yutzey, School Librarian (retired), Educator, and Speaker
- Choose to Read Ohio is coordinated by Janet Ingraham Dwyer, Library Consultant, State Library of Ohio.
Founding Advisory Council member and CTRO champion Floyd Dickman passed away on June 14, 2015. His contributions to CTRO were significant and lasting, but were just a small part of his enormous legacy in the library and literary worlds.
CTRO Advisory Council members Kathy Halsey, Jenny Oney, Morgan Peters, Katie Porteus, Desiree Thomas, and Terry Tocchi researched and wrote toolkits for 2019 & 2020 titles. CTRO Advisory Council members Christina Dorr, Bryan Loar, and Katie Porteus researched and wrote 2017 & 2018 toolkits. Gregg Gassman, former Library Assistant II at the State Library of Ohio, researched, wrote, and edited toolkits for 2017 & 2018 and 2015 & 2016 titles.
The participation of the following toolkit authors and editors was made possible through the Kent State University School of Library and Information Science Culminating Experience (practicum) program. Jenn Wiezbiski and Rachel Buchanan researched and wrote toolkits for 2019 & 2020 titles. Jenn also created an online template for CTRO toolkits, in collaboration with fellow intern Ariel Bacon. Therese Terndrup and Kristin Wilson researched and wrote 2017 & 2018 toolkits. Desiree Thomas, Michelle Garver and Sarah Frecker researched and wrote 2015 & 2016 toolkits. Valerie Frey, Allison (Sunny) Martin, and Morgan Hidy researched and wrote 2013 & 2014 toolkits. Marie Corbitt edited several 2013 & 2014 toolkits. Terry Tocchi produced toolkits for 2011 & 2012 titles, and incorporated early literacy information, Ohio Early Learning Standards, and other useful resources into the initiative.
Additionally, Kent State undergraduate intern Luke LaBuhn edited and proofread 2019 & 2020 toolkits. The CTRO Advisory Council is very grateful to all our interns for their support and important contributions.
CTRO project coordinator Janet Ingraham Dwyer researched and wrote all toolkits from 2011 & 2012 forward, other than those written by the above contributors.
The teachers, librarians, and others who serve as CTRO reader/electors have graciously offered their time, support, and expertise to CTRO by reading and assessing the many nominated books. The CTRO Advisory Council and partners are indebted to these librarians and educators for their generous participation. The list of individuals who served as reader/electors for the CTRO 2019 & 2020 booklist appears in the press release announcing the 2019 & 2020 booklist. The list of electors for the 2017 & 2018 booklist appears in the press release announcing the 2017 & 2018 booklist .
Kathy Halsey advised and consulted on CTRO support for technology and critical thinking skills. She contributed resources and wisdom about Ohio Academic Content Standards, 21st Century Skills, and Standards for the 21st-Century Learner to the CTRO initiative. Kathy created activities for the “Learn and Have Fun!” sections of the 2011 & 2012 toolkits for books for young people, and assisted greatly in building and promoting CTRO, particularly to the education community.
Choose to Read Ohio also acknowledges the contributions of many who participated in developing this initiative, including former coordinator and Library Consultant Ruth Metcalf and former State Librarian Jo Budler, Cathy Allen (Hurt/Battelle Memorial Public Library), Mary Boon (Wood County Public Library), Marcelita Haskins (WOSU Public Media), Linda Hengst (Ohioana), Missy Lodge (State Library), Barb Meister (Ohioana), Scott Miller (Kilbourne Middle School), Alexa Reck (Barnes & Noble), Mercier Robinson (Ohio Center for the Book), Jackie Schaffer (Ohio Government Television), Sarah Stuckey (Barnes & Noble), Jay Wise (Public Library of Chillicothe and Ross County), Babette Wofter (Licking County Library), Don Yarman (Delaware County District Library), and Nancy Eames (Toledo-Lucas County Public Library).