Current Events & Programs
Check out our Events and Programs Calendar to view the full schedule of workshops offered by the State Library of Ohio and other events of interest to the Ohio library community.
Click here to see the Statewide Shared Calendar. The State Library manages a statewide CE calendar where library professionals can view in one place CE events hosted by ALAO, OELMA, OHIONET, OLC, the four regional library systems (SEO, SERLS, NEO-RLS, & NORWELD) and the State Library of Ohio.
Training & Development Programs and Resources
ILEAD USA – Ohio: Innovative Librarians Explore, Apply and Discover, a continuing education library immersion program, combines web technologies’ skills building with leadership training in order to increase awareness of library services, engage libraries’ constituents, and provide opportunities for collaborating on innovative projects.
In-person sessions take place on March 21-23, June 13-15 and October 24-26, 2017.
Library Leadership Ohio
The State Library of Ohio and OhioNET once again collaborated in 2016 for the Library Leadership Ohio Institute held July 19-22. Recognizing the ongoing challenges faced by all Ohio libraries, we believe that developing the next generation of transformative library leaders is vital to ensure the continued depth, growth, and quality of library services for all. Library Leadership Ohio takes place every other year. For more details visit LibraryLeadershipOhio.org
WebJunction (Ohio library staff only)
The State Library of Ohio provides support to help WebJunction provide information and training opportunities at no cost to staff working in all types of libraries and museums, and LIS students.
Learn about the skills that are essential to today’s library worker with WebJunction’s Competency Index, find out how to manage your own growth, and get support for how to be a successful e-learner.
WebJunction’s free, online course catalog has over 25 self-paced, online courses on library topics, as well as over 100 curated webinar archives ready and available when you are.
Create a free WebJunction learner account today, and you’ll find a wide range of topics, including Customer Service, Library Management, and Programming – something for everyone! Take courses when your time permits, and earn completion certificates as you finish each class.
WebJunction webinars are live audiovisual programs that are conducted online via WebEx web conferencing. Anyone who has an Internet connection can participate, listening to the audio broadcast through speakers or headset, or via phone. These free events allow you to meet and learn from library leaders and fellow library practitioners.
Skillsoft (Ohio library staff only)
The State Library of Ohio offers access to Skillsoft through our partnership with WebJunction. This learning management system provides access to over 500 online self-paced courses and over 30,000 short, instructional videos. There are resources on topics that range from using Microsoft Office and Windows to leadership essentials to creating budgets.
Request an Account (Ohio library staff only)
- Go to http://webjunction.skillport.com/.
- Click on the Register link near the bottom of the page.
- Complete all fields of the registration form, making sure to select your correct State Library Sponsor.
- Affirm and submit the form, you will receive an e-mail acknowledging your request.
- Within two working days or less, you will receive a notice of approval or disapproval.
- If approved, you can now log in and start learning.
Using Skillport (Ohio library staff only)
- After logging in, you will be on the home page. To find learning opportunities, click on The Library link at the top of the screen to browse the courses, videos and job aids.
- You can also use the Search function at the top of the page to search all of the available content.
- A course, video or job aid can be launched directly from Search or the Catalog listings, or you can add it to your Learning Plan to come back to later. The Learning Plan allows you to create a personal learning plan of the courses you wish to take.
- Once you begin using the courses, you can print certificates of completion and reports of your learning history in the Learning Transcript Here you will see both courses you have launched and are still working on, as well as courses you have completed.
Additional Help – Skillport Quick Start Guide
The State Library of Ohio provides support to help WebJunction provide information and training opportunities at no cost to staff working in all types of libraries and museums, and LIS students. WebJunction and Skillsoft are paid for in-part through federal IMLS LSTA funds.
The most recent Take 5 took place on Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at the Athens Community Center. The theme “Level Up, Level Out” incorporated two growing trends in youth services: gamification and getting outside. Take 5 includes traditional conference presentations as well as opportunities for attendees to exchange ideas, share successes and inspire each other in facilitated discussions, experiential learning opportunities, and professional networking within a casual environment. Attendees share their dreams and successes in an open poster session and in small group conversations throughout the day.