The New Grove City Library
November 3, 2016
New Grove City Library
the Dedication and Grand Opening of the new Grove City Library
I had the privilege of speaking at the Dedication and Grand Opening of the new Grove City Library on Sunday, October 16. This beautiful new facility is part of Southwest Public Libraries (SPL), serving the more than 130,000 residents of the South-Western City School District. The new library replaces a building that was built in 1954 and expanded in 1974 and was no longer adequate to meet the library’s needs.
The Grove City Library has two floors and is 48,000 square feet in size. The building is as functional as it is beautiful, providing an increased number of public computers with internet access, large meeting rooms and quiet study rooms, an area dedicated to the Friends of the Library book sale, a wonderful children’s area that includes an early literacy center, and plenty of space to browse the library’s collections and sit and read, work, or study. Some highlights of the new library include:
Harper’s Grove Early Literacy Section – this area is equipped with games and activities to help children learn skills that will provide a good foundation for learning to read. Harper’s Grove was made possible by a $100,000 donation from Laura Harper, president emeritus of the Friends of the Southwest Public Libraries Board of Trustees.
The Women’s Civic Club of Grove City Reading Room – this room on the second floor of the library offers a cozy spot to sit and read a good book. The Civic Club has been a strong supporter of the library since 1917, when it helped create the public library in Grove City. The room includes comfortable seating and a working fireplace. A portrait of Irene Harper, the first librarian of Southwest Public Libraries, hangs above the fireplace.
Entryway Artwork – the sculpture in the vestibule of the Broadway entrance was designed and built by local artist, Roger Burkett. The design pays homage to the history of the Grove City Library, depicting all of the library’s locations since its establishment in 1917. The piece also includes a variation of the Southwest Public Libraries logo.
Meeting and Study Rooms – large meeting room on the first floor can accommodate up to 388 people and can be divided into two separate, smaller meeting rooms. The SPL Board Room is also available for public use as a conference room when the Board of Trustees is not in session. Quiet Study rooms are available for individuals or small groups seeking quiet study space.
The new library was made possible by a partnership between the Southwest Public Libraries and the City of Grove City. The city purchased the property on which the Grove City Library sits. After a term of 30 years, ownership will transfer to SPL. 86 off-street parking spaces are available for library use.